Anime Archives

Disclosure: "As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases." Read more

Sugar Sugar Rune: Initial Thoughts About Vanilla

Thursday, December 01, 2016
Vanilla Mieux / Ice is a character from the Sugar Sugar Rune anime and manga series by Moyoco Anno. She's the best friend of Chocolat Meilleure / Kato, the main character in said show.

Both are also rivals for the Queen Selection Contest wherein they're tasked to collect as many hearts as they can. Whoever does this will be declared Queen of the Magical World. So, what's there to like about Vanilla? What can be said about her?

Chocolat Meilleure / Kato, Vanilla Mieux / Ice, sugar sugar rune, anime, manga, moyoco anno
While I haven't finished watching the entirety of Sugar Sugar Rune, already (for now, at least, maybe), I can say that I like Vanilla far more than I like Chocolat. Ice may be shy, but at least she isn't annoying like Kato.

Sometimes, I even find myself wishing that Vanilla was the main character instead of Chocolat. Yeah, it's gotten that bad.

Honestly, I think it would have been far more interesting to have shy, quiet and nice Mieux as the protagonist rather than loud, brash, meddlesome and infuriating Meilleure.

For one thing, wouldn't it be interesting to see how such a shy and quiet character could evolve and grow into someone more outspoken or, at the very least, less shy? Wouldn't it be interesting to see how she would interact and socialize with others, how she'd be able to overcome her insecurities and shyness?

So, what do you think about Chocolat and Vanilla? I talk more about them in this post here on Soyuz Mir. I'd have moved this one here on Anime Archives (Anime Meta) too, but it's already got some comments and notes on Tumblr, so I decided to keep it there indefinitely. I'm mentioning it here for reference as the rest of the anime posts on there will eventually be moved here.

*Notes:
- Pic is from Amazon.com; link shown above

Share your thoughts and opinions by commenting below:
To comment as a guest or anonymously: Select the discussion then the name textbox. Put a check on the "I'd rather post as guest" checkbox and you can submit your comment without logging in or creating an account.
By leaving a comment, you agree with the comment guidelines.